Jun24 Fun Holiday – Swim a Lap Day
Dive into a pool and swim a lap or two for your health on June 24 or Swim a Lap Day. The unofficial holiday celebrates the ancient sport of swimming and encourages people to engage in it for the purpose of exercise.
Humans have been swimming since antiquity for survival, recreation, and exercise. Historians and archaeologists have found cave paintings and written scripts that depict swimming as a common and enjoyable activity.
Swimming emerged as a competitive sport in 19th century England, though there is historical evidence that the ancient Japanese were responsible for inventing it. Today, swimming is one of the most popular Olympic sports around the world and includes four kinds of swimming styles: the front crawl, backstroke, butterfly, and the breaststroke.
Swim your Way to Health
Studies have shown that swimming offers many health benefits. Because a swimmer uses all of his or her muscles while swimming, the activity is considered to be an excellent all-around workout. Not only does it burn substantial amounts of calories, it also increases heart activity and builds muscle strength. In addition, swimming can reduce stress and help people relax.
In young children, swimming can help build posture, increase coordination, and flexibility, and can help with motor development.
How to Celebrate?
- This one's easy: get into your swim gear, take a dip in your local pool, and swim a lap or 2.
- If you prefer, go swim in a lake, river, or the sea. Make sure you take all the necessary precautions one must take when swimming in nature.
- If you have never learned to swim, today is just the day to begin. Many community pools hold adult swimming classes. Join them and get started.
- Organize a pool party with family and friends and have your own mini-swim meet.
- Have children? Take a class on pool safety and how to supervise kids around pools and other bodies of water.
Did You Know…
…that swimming is the only sport that could save a life?
Swim a Lap Day Observances
|Fun Holiday: Swim a Lap Day Observances|
|2023||Sat||Jun 24||Swim a Lap Day|
|2024||Mon||Jun 24||Swim a Lap Day|
|2025||Tue||Jun 24||Swim a Lap Day|
|2026||Wed||Jun 24||Swim a Lap Day|
|2027||Thu||Jun 24||Swim a Lap Day|
|2028||Sat||Jun 24||Swim a Lap Day|
|2029||Sun||Jun 24||Swim a Lap Day|
|2030||Mon||Jun 24||Swim a Lap Day|
|2031||Tue||Jun 24||Swim a Lap Day|
|2032||Thu||Jun 24||Swim a Lap Day|